Malta: Nomad Residence Permit (Digital Nomad Visa)
Remote workers, freelancers, and self-employed people can spend a year or more in Malta with a Nomad Residence Permit.
- Renewable after 1 year
- Online application
- 0% income tax
- Bring family
- E.U. member
- Beautiful Mediterranean beaches
Malta’s new Nomad Residence Permit welcomes self-employed people and remote workers to one of Europe’s top hubs for expats and digital nomads.
Malta’s capital, Valletta, is among the sunniest cities in Europe, with close to 3,000 hours of sunshine per year. But Malta is more than just sunshine and beaches, as it is home to some of Europe’s oldest and most fascinating history.
The walled city of Mdina, Malta’s former capital, has been inhabited for 4,000 years. Called the “Silent City” because it is closed to cars, Mdina charms visitors with unique shops and unassuming cafes tucked into its mazelike sandstone alleys.
Fixed broadband: 140.01 Mbps download/20.28 Mbps upload
Mobile: 52.78 Mbps download/13.91 Mbps upload
Cost of living
No. 25 globally
$3,200 per month income for one applicant
An additional 20% of Malta’s median income is required per family member. This is roughly $3,500 per year for each dependent, but the requirements change according to the national median income.
Applicant must be employed by a company outside of Malta, a freelancer, or self-employed.
If applicant is from a country that requires a visa to enter Malta, they must also apply for a Premium Visa.
- $360 for Nomad Residence Permit, per person
- $360 for a Premium Visa (only required for applicants from countries that do not have visa-free entry to Malta)
Complete application forms and submit them via email.
Your application will be reviewed, and background checks completed, over 30 days.
You will receive an email if you’re approved, and you can enter Malta visa-free (or apply for a Premium Visa if required).
Pick up your Nomad Residence Permit in Malta. This residence permit can be renewed after 1 year.
- Application forms
- Letter of intent explaining motivation for obtaining residence permit and intended duration of stay, signed
- Proof of travel health insurance
- Proof of accommodation rental or purchase (required after approval)
- Proof of family relationships such as marriage or birth certificates, affidavits of dependency (if required)
- Official employment contract and tax information, with declaration that work can be completed remotely (if employed)
- Evidence of company ownership, stamped and legalized profit and loss and tax statements, certificate of incorporation, and other relevant documents (if self-employed)
- Evidence of freelance services, including contracts, payment rates, 1 year of bank statements showing required income, 3 invoices and receipts, and other relevant documents (if freelance)
- CV (signed)
- Bank statement showing required income for past 3 months
Full documents checklist
Handwritten forms are not accepted. Signatures must be in blue ink. Documents should be submitted in English or with certified translations.