Italian Startup Visa
Startup entrepreneurs and their family members can move to Italy with an Italia Startup Visa. Teams can apply together, too.
- Renewable after 1 year
- Initial application is online
- Approval in 30 days
- Bring family
- Path to EU Permanent Residence
- Includes right to work
Start your day with an espresso, meet on Zoom with your business partners around Italy and the EU, then stroll through Rome’s historic streets and finish your day with a pizza margherita and your favorite glass of Montepulciano.
Startups in Italy have access to the entire EU market, a strategic location, a highly trained and creative workforce, and the country’s globally recognized high-quality brand.
Teams of up to 5 founders (and in exceptional cases, 10) can apply together.
Fixed broadband: 90.93 Mbps download/35.53 Mbps upload Mobile: 190.87 Mbps download/12.60 Mbps upload Italy Speedtest
COST OF LIVING
$61,000 available for business needs, from personal resources, investors, or a combination
Initial application is free.
Start your application online.
These steps are for applying independently, but you can also apply through an Italian accelerator. Consult with your accelerator or read about the process here.
Gather all required documents and submit them by email to the ISV Committee. You will receive approval and a Nulla Ostia ISV within 30 days.
Bring hard copies of your Nulla Ostia and all application materials to the Italian embassy or consulate in the country where you live. They will process your application for an Italia Startup Visa (1-year startup self-employment visa).
Use this visa to enter Italy. Within 8 days of arriving, take 2 postal bulletins (1 of €30.46 and 1 of €50.00), a €16.00 marca da bollo (revenue stamp), a photocopy of your passport (including all pages), 2 35mm x 45mm passport photos, and proof of your accommodation to the local police station (Questura). Be sure to make an appointment in advance. They will issue you a 1-year self-employment residence permit.
After 1 year (60 days before your permit expires), you can renew your residence permit by bringing your certificate of incorporation and proof of income to the police station. You will receive a 2-year self-employment residence permit.
PDF summary of the application process ( including both individual applications and applying through an accelerator )
For initial application:
- Completed application form, including education and employment history, detailed description of your startup, sources of financial support, and your reason for choosing to locate your business in Italy
- PDF pitch deck
- Business plan including forecasted costs and revenue
- Cover letter detailing your financial resources (at least $61,000)
- Proof of financial resources such as bank statements, institutional letters, and/or contract of investment
- Copy of passport
For later steps:
- Proof of accommodation
- Past year’s income tax return
- Two postal bulletins (one of €30.46 and one of €50.00) paid for at the post office in Italy
- One €16.00 marca da bollo (revenue stamp)
- 2 35mm x 45mm passport photos
Other documents may be required.