Remote Work Visa for Americans in the Netherlands

The Dutch American Friendship Treaty allows Americans who are self-employed or freelancers to move to the Netherlands, with the right to work for clients there.


  • Bring family
  • Path to Permanent Residence
  • Renewable after 2 years
  • Includes right to freelance
  • 6 months residency required
  • High standard of living


Travelers flock to Amsterdam for world-class art museums, picturesque canals, and vibrant nightlife. Venture outside of the capitol for charming villages, tulip farms, and a windmill-dotted landscape that is flat and easily bikeable.

As a resident of the Netherlands, you’ll also appreciate the inclusive, egalitarian society and well-developed social programs. You can work for as a freelancer for clients in the Netherlands under this visa, but no single client can make up more than 70% of your income.

This visa suits self-employed and freelance workers, not remote workers employed by a company outside of the Netherlands.


Fixed broadband: 156.69 Mbps download/78.97 Mbps upload Mobile: 103.12 Mbps download/22.05 Mbps upload Netherlands Speedtest


No. 20 globally


$5,440 bank balance (deposited in the Netherlands)

A freelance business

American citizenship


$1,562 fee

$78 for company registration fees


Apply in the Netherlands with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). This complicated process takes ~3 months, but you are allowed to work as a freelancer once you begin the application.

After arriving in the Netherlands, make an appointment with the IND to begin your application in person. Bring your application form, passport, and cash or a Dutch credit card to pay the fee. They will issue you permission to live and work freelance in the Netherlands for 6 months while your application is processed.

While you wait, gather the remaining documents within the Netherlands:

  • Register your housing with the Gemeente and obtain your BSM (burgerservicenummer), which is an identification number that is similar to a social security number in the U.S.A.
  • Register your business with the KvK (Dutch business registry).
  • Open a Dutch bank account, deposit $5,440, and get a bank statement.
  • Have a “balance sheet” prepared by a Dutch accountant.

    Then submit these documents and your business plan to the IND to complete your application.


    • Passport
    • Proof of residence in the Netherlands (such as a letter from your landlord)
    • Apostilled copy of your birth certificate
    • Completed application form
    • BSM (burgerservicenummer)
    • Bank statement showing $5,440 deposited in a business account in the Netherlands
    • Balance sheet
    • 1 page business plan

    Other documents may be required. Documents should be certified and submitted in English, Dutch, French, or German.