StartUP Visa Portugal
The Startup Visa allows founders of tech startups to create a new company in Portugal (or move an existing one). Teams of up to 5 members can apply together.
- Includes work permit
- Incubator support
- Renewable after 1 year
- Path to Permanent Residence
- Apply as a startup team (up to 5)
- Dynamic startup ecosystem
Warm and welcoming, Portugal is known for its rich history, artisanal foods, and dramatic coastline tempting surfers with tremendous waves. Experience Lisbon’s creative culture, taste famous wines in Porto and Madeira, or relax in the Algarve. As a resident of Portugal, you can also watch the fog in roll over the sea while spotting whales in the Azores, a center for sustainability and adventure travel.
Fixed broadband: 150.39 Mbps download/ 67.56 Mbps upload Mobile: 51.93 Mbps download/13.46 Mbps upload Portugal Speedtest
COST OF LIVING
- Tech startup accepted into an approved incubator (list is here )
- $6,206 per person, per year
- Business plan with the potential to create jobs and earn $392,000 in annual income (or create $392,000 in assets) within 5 years.
Initial application is free.
Submit your application (in English or Portuguese) through the online platform here.
Include all documentation requested for each person on the startup management team.
Next, send an expression of interest to at least one incubator. Your startup will be evaluated based on factors including technological and economic innovation, scalability and market, startup team’s individual and group capabilities, and the potential to create jobs in Portugal. (You can also include a video pitch.)
The incubator(s) of your choice reviews your application and informs you of acceptance or rejection. You should receive notice within 30 days.
If you are accepted, you will finalize a contract with an incubator through the portal within 40 working days.
After your contract is finalized, you can apply for a visa through the Portuguese embassy or consulate in your country of residence. They will issue you a 4-month residency visa, and you should have approval in 60 days.
Use this visa to enter Portugal. After you arrive, you will go to a customer service bureau of the Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, or SEF). You can schedule an appointment here.
Documents can include:
- Completed application form
- If you are living outside of your home country, include a copy of any valid residence permit—applicants currently living in the Schengen area cannot apply
- Portuguese tax and social security number (or a statement explaining that the applicant does not have this)
- A letter explaining why you want to start your business in Portugal
- Pitch deck for your startup and video pitch, if desired
- Proof of income or bank statement proving $6,206 per person, per year
- Police check from your country of origin and place of residence (if different)
- Permission for a police records check
- Curriculum vitae
- Travel and health insurance
- Several recent passport photos
- Proof of 1 year’s accommodation
Other documents may be required.