Spain: Self-Employed Visa
Spain’s Self-Employed Work Visa allows non-EU residents to live in Spain and the Canary Islands. Entrepreneurs can start a new business and freelancers and self-employed people can work remotely for clients anywhere.
- Path to Permanent Residence and citizenship
- Low required income
- Nomad hub
- Moderate cost of living
- EU member
- Great quality of life
Spain and the Canary Islands are growing in popularity for digital nomads. Remote workers especially appreciate the quality of life, ease of networking through co-working spaces and events, and reliable internet.
Fixed broadband: 186.40 Mbps download/156.58Mbps upload
Mobile: 54.50 Mbps download/13.63 Mbps upload
Cost of living
No. 39 globally
$15,800 per year in income. Depending on the rules of the embassy or consulate where you apply, this full amount may need to be deposited upon application.
- Generally from $73 to $839, depending on citizenship
Apply in person with your documents at the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country.
It usually processes within 6 months.
Documents may need to be apostilled or translated into Spanish, and usually include:
- Completed application forms and proof of payment (from consulate)
- Valid passport
- Clear criminal records check
- Medical certificate (less than three months old)
- Proof of qualifications
- Business and financial plan
- Passport photo
- Proof of $15,800 income or funds
- Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate for family members (if required)
- Business licenses and authorizations (if required)
Other documents may be required.